Monday, 20 September 2010


 I was at a conference in January, with a room full of engineers of advancing years. What surprised me was that more than 50% of these guys owned iPhones. Given the slowness to embrace new technology by most firms, it came as quite a surprise to see so many users working their finger tricks to slide and glide through their screens flicking between emails, maps and other apps. Wow what a marketing opportunity, I thought. So I set about developing an energy calculator app. Not me personally - I don't even own an iPhone - but our clever lads in marketing took up the challenge. And so today I am pleased to announce that we have just created what I think is the first energy calculator app for variable speed drives, from any drives manufacturer.
If you are fortunate enough to own an iPhone then I urge you to get your hands on it by visiting iTunes -http://itunes.apple.com/. By inputting some basic data about your application you get to see the CO2, energy and cost savings possible. Let me know what you think below. However, being a fair man, I also had the other 50% of my January audience on my conscience. And you know what I came up with? A good old traditional slide rule. It's not as powerful as the app, but it certainly gives you an insight into how much energy can be saved by switching a direct-on-line motor over to variable speed control. There's also an interesting twist relating to light bulbs! If you'd like discover what this is then email energy@gb.abb.com and leave your address details and I'll send one to you. Happy calculating!

1 comments:

  1. I am very impress on your information , Its a really very impressive blog. I really got some another very nice information , so thanks for sharing these tips, UK investment.

    ReplyDelete