ABB’s range of WIMES compliant motors is designed specifically for use in the water and wastewater industries. WIMES stands for Water Industry Mechanical and Electrical Specification, and is a standard developed in partnership with 17 of the most prominent water companies in the UK.
What’s in these specifications?
WIMES sets out the minimum standards for energy efficiency, life-cycle cost, build quality and environmental protection for low-voltage motors. Or more specifically…
- Energy efficiency – WIMES lays down minimum efficiencies for 2, 4 and 6 pole electric motors up to 1,000 kW. These efficiencies are equivalent to IE3.
- Build quality – A WIMES motor must be robust, with a good level of protection against the harsh environment encountered in water and wastewater applications. The motors must be able to meet the continuous duty cycles common in this industry. A WIMES compliant motor needs to be equipped with a high IP rating and have seals in place to protect the internal bearings and other components within the motor against the ingress of contaminants.
- Environmental protection – Electric motors used in the water and wastewater industry need to have a low environmental impact with low noise levels, low running costs and low maintenance costs. Ultimately this leads to a much lower overall cost of ownership.
These motors are packed with features designed to meet the challenging conditions found in the water and wastewater industries. Some of these features include:
- Windings designed to meet or exceed IE3 or IE4 efficiency levels, resulting in reduced losses, cooler running and longer life-cycles for bearings and insulation.
- V-ring and labyrinth seals to protect bearings and internal components from ingress of harmful materials.
- PTC thermistors contained within the windings to protect against overheating. Larger motors are fitted with PT100 temperature sensors for additional protection in accordance with WIMES specifications.
- Heating elements fitted within the windings, with drain holes in the stator frame, to protect the motor from the effects of condensation.
- Steel fan covers and stainless steel rating plates to withstand outdoor conditions.
Keep up to date - fill in the form below to join our mailing list